Rising in Beauty

Rising in Beauty
Sky over North Park

Just Learning

Just Learning
Kitchen Studio

Monday, July 2, 2007

Grandpa

Grandpa, William Edgar Grumman, was a schoolteacher, writer and librarian. I never met him, as he died long before I was born. He was old enough to remember the War Between the States, and the older brother who never came back. He loved justice, politics, and education. When Mark Twain donated books to start a library in Redding, CT, Grandpa was in charge of organizing the library, and was its first head. In this photo, circa 1880, his energy and humor show.

2 comments:

C Merry said...

That's such a great story. I never knew any granpas on either side. Had a "bad" childhood, not great people and never had much interest in looking into the family past but.. (I know a few things that were told but did not go further than listening)- this is such a great thing to have in your family history. I like to think of people like this and what was he like at 15 and dreaming of his future and what was he like when he was in the prime of life looking at all he had- and the happiness of that day the books arrived! Very cool :)

Irene Grumman said...

You really struck a chord with your comment. I've even written short stories based on anecdotes about relatives, and things my mother told me about her childhood.