Rising in Beauty

Rising in Beauty
Sky over North Park

Just Learning

Just Learning
Kitchen Studio

Monday, June 11, 2007

Oompala

An Oompala is a tuba-shaped antelope with an extremely resonant bleat. It has been developed by breeding impala for large size and large voice. An oompala, like all God's critters, has a place in the choir. Sometimes it has to be coaxed. However, it likes to show off and can be depended upon to blaat and bloomp rhythmically for any reindeer parade.

The above nonsensical entry is provoked by a blog called WordImperfect.blogspot.com

WordImperfect offers obscure words from a dictionary and invites readers to make up definitions. I enjoy reading the responses and making up my own definitions.

Still, I love words that are entirely made up and almost mean something, as in Charles Dodson's immortal ode beginning,

'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gymbal in the wabe
All mimsy were the borogoves
And the mome raths outgrabe.

After all, every word we have was made up by somebody, somewhere, sometime.

4 comments:

Brooke said...

I love your writing style. I've found myself on wordimperfects blog too. Some people are so creative!

Irene Grumman said...

Thanks for the compliment. Creativity makes people more awake.

Brooke said...

Sorry about the about comment, I posted under the wrong name! Unfortunately, brooke.blogspot is not my account. It would be much easier to remember if it were!

Irene Grumman said...

I like your blog page, ORGcares.blogspot.com
Write more!

Yesterday I couldn't think of the blog name, so I tried your name. Silly to think there would only be one Brooke out there.