Rising in Beauty

Rising in Beauty
Sky over North Park

Just Learning

Just Learning
Kitchen Studio

Monday, May 7, 2012

Progress

Six months ago I ventured to volunteer, 3hours a week, at Uptown Faith Community Services Center, which helps homeless people and folks with low incomes. Uncertain whether I had the stamina to keep a commitment, I was encouraged to try because I had managed a few months of occasional help in the religious education program at my church, First Unitarian Universalist of San Diego. Soon I learned that my church was one of the sponsors of the this social justice work. I became liaison between the church and the Uptown board. Of course, one can't just go to the board meeting once a month. So once a month there is also a subcommittee meeting that targets the needs of the direct service center. Occasional meetings to report to the congregation. Plus a great deal of thinking, planning, suggesting, writing, emailing, trying to raise funds, raise consciousness, gather more volunteers, obtain donations in kind, seeing that these donations reach the center. It turned out that I had been missing having a consistent purpose and goal in my life. I have a passion for direct help, and informing people. I can do it. Now I do have the stamina. Terrific people have become my colleagues and friends. During the same period, some concepts from art class have sunk in. I can continue to learn and improve. I love the process. I'd say I've made some progress.

No comments: