Rising in Beauty

Rising in Beauty
Sky over North Park

Just Learning

Just Learning
Kitchen Studio

Tuesday, May 15, 2007

The Robot Hall of Fame

Since I saw the robots at WIRED's fair last October, I have been more interested in the subject. So when I found out about the Robot Hall of Fame (www.robothalloffame.org) I looked it up right away. If they didn't have the robot from The Day the Earth Stood Still, I planned to nominate it.

Happily, Gort had been inducted in 2006, along with David from AI: Artificial Intelligence, and Maria from Metropolis. These were inspired choices. R2D2 and C3PO were inducted in previous years.

The Hall of Fame equally honors the robots that exist in the flesh - uh - in the real world - uh - you know - and I was happy to see the one from SONY that looks like the marshmallow man on a diet, wearing a spacesuit. The version we saw last fall had a very realistic head, modeled on Albert Einstein. Even with a very benign expression, this was kind of spooky.

Another Hall of Famer is the very first robot arm ever used on an assembly line. Think of that.

No comments: